Green Cheese. Whirlwind of Kleenex <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 02, 2004

The Awakening. 

I had to read this book for homework over the summer, in preperation for Honors 10 english. I don't recommend it. While it is very well written and makes you think a lot (even though it is deceptively simple) I just hate books where the main character kills him/herself at the end (the only exception being Romeo and Juliet). I don't just hate it, I absolutely loathe it. It's depressing for one thing, and it leaves you with a sense of darkness. Also because you know they didn't go to heaven- even though it's a book. A suicide is so selfish, just giving up without a fight. And in this case- she kills herself because the object of her extra-marital love leaves her before they can have an affair- its maddening, because she was doing wrong in the first place, and she kills herself because the guy did the right thing. I don't like the message of this book, and I don't like the title. Because its not about us! Our lives are not our own! We belong completely to God. So try that, Kate Chopin.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?