Tuesday, August 03, 2004
Oh, what a tale I have for you today!
This morning I took my first drive with my instructor. Miya drove an hour, until we were at the Bingo parking lot (by the crest) and then it was my turn. Keep in mind that this is my fourth drive so far, and I’m a little nervous about going on to a busy street. But we start on down 5th, me going a reasonable 30 (in a 35). After about a mile, my instructor looks over his shoulder and tells me to be careful not to speed. So I slow down, unfortunately to about 20. He says “take a right” I do. I finally check my rear view and what do I see but flashing lights. I pull over and roll down my window, embarrassed as all get out. This tough, mean looking policeman approaches and asks first to see my permit (and after a lengthy examination gives it back) and then if I was aware that the speed limit was 35 and that I was “impeding traffic” I look down with a humiliated grin. My instructor says “I just told her not to speed and she slowed down” The policeman asks sarcastically “Oh is that when she almost went off the road?” Now, I know I have a tendency to oversteer, but why is he so mad? He goes on “It’d be a little rough to give you a ticket before you get your license (no, really?). If you’re not comfortable with going fast, you should keep in the nice little residential streets.” My instructor says, “Well, we were just going to do that, we were headed here, in fact.” And the policeman walks away, frowning.
After this, my instructor tells me that he had been following me for 6 blocks, without lights on (!) and that was why he had told me not to speed. We share disparaging comments about the Shoreline police. After all, my mom went 27 years without a ticket, and then when we moved to Shoreline she got two in 4 years! But I was going to slow, because I didn’t feel comfortable- but how will I ever feel comfortable without practice. And it was my first time both on an arterial road, and going over 20!
Other news: Patty Griffin and Mindy Smith are muy bien! Whistler is coming up!! Arielle is home and I saw her!!! And I get to drive again soon! (I am actually mildly excited to work on my turns, and of course, to work on going the speed limit)
After this, my instructor tells me that he had been following me for 6 blocks, without lights on (!) and that was why he had told me not to speed. We share disparaging comments about the Shoreline police. After all, my mom went 27 years without a ticket, and then when we moved to Shoreline she got two in 4 years! But I was going to slow, because I didn’t feel comfortable- but how will I ever feel comfortable without practice. And it was my first time both on an arterial road, and going over 20!
Other news: Patty Griffin and Mindy Smith are muy bien! Whistler is coming up!! Arielle is home and I saw her!!! And I get to drive again soon! (I am actually mildly excited to work on my turns, and of course, to work on going the speed limit)