Thursday, September 16, 2004
2nd installment
wow... I've really had a lot of homework this past week. Well, here's part two! I hope you all stay hooked!
Next thing I know they find a house, really close to the beach. They made a contingency offer on it. The location wasn’t so bad, but the house itself was charcoal gray, and only had 3 bedrooms. I started to feel my throat choke up every time I thought about it.
Fortunately, the sneaky (in a bad way) real estate agent who had the house sold it for the asking price to someone else two days before the deal with my parents was finalized. I relaxed a little, but it was premature.
We were taking one of my little sister’s friends home from a sleepover when my mom decided to take a look at another house, also in Richmond Beach, which our agent was excited about. So we explored the house. My first impression of it was dark. Literally. It was a beige house straight from the sixties. Lots of brown wall paneling, dark brown carpet in the living room, and absolutely hideous brown patterned curtains in the bedrooms and bathrooms. But even I had to admire the space. There were four bedrooms and three bathrooms. My parents loved it. They made an offer and it was accepted. Our house was sold within two weeks and we started packing up.
My friends from school rather freaked out. One of them started crying when I told her. I felt bad, and that’s a titanic understatement. I personally didn’t cry about it, but there were plenty of times when I wanted to. Particularly when I was packing my boxes up, watching my dear old room transform into merely four bare white walls.
Labor Day weekend rolled around, and we started loading up the boxes and driving them to our new house. I still felt like choking up when I saw the downstairs, but I had the good luck of getting the one room with off-white paneling, which was comforting. I liked to sit on my light brown carpet and think about where I’d put my things and what my new school would be like.
The first day of school arrived. I had large butterflies in the general stomach area as I walked down to the bus stop. Two other freshmen were there, and we said tentative hellos. I made an effort to smile. The bus came...
(stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion to this epic trilogy!)
Next thing I know they find a house, really close to the beach. They made a contingency offer on it. The location wasn’t so bad, but the house itself was charcoal gray, and only had 3 bedrooms. I started to feel my throat choke up every time I thought about it.
Fortunately, the sneaky (in a bad way) real estate agent who had the house sold it for the asking price to someone else two days before the deal with my parents was finalized. I relaxed a little, but it was premature.
We were taking one of my little sister’s friends home from a sleepover when my mom decided to take a look at another house, also in Richmond Beach, which our agent was excited about. So we explored the house. My first impression of it was dark. Literally. It was a beige house straight from the sixties. Lots of brown wall paneling, dark brown carpet in the living room, and absolutely hideous brown patterned curtains in the bedrooms and bathrooms. But even I had to admire the space. There were four bedrooms and three bathrooms. My parents loved it. They made an offer and it was accepted. Our house was sold within two weeks and we started packing up.
My friends from school rather freaked out. One of them started crying when I told her. I felt bad, and that’s a titanic understatement. I personally didn’t cry about it, but there were plenty of times when I wanted to. Particularly when I was packing my boxes up, watching my dear old room transform into merely four bare white walls.
Labor Day weekend rolled around, and we started loading up the boxes and driving them to our new house. I still felt like choking up when I saw the downstairs, but I had the good luck of getting the one room with off-white paneling, which was comforting. I liked to sit on my light brown carpet and think about where I’d put my things and what my new school would be like.
The first day of school arrived. I had large butterflies in the general stomach area as I walked down to the bus stop. Two other freshmen were there, and we said tentative hellos. I made an effort to smile. The bus came...
(stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion to this epic trilogy!)