Monday, September 20, 2004
part three of An Autobiographical Story (aka Memoir) About When I Moved Last Year
(here's the final part. Hope you liked the "series." In a while I'll update all you adoring fans about my life- there's lots and lots to tell!)
When I finally got to Shorewood (the ride seemed to take forever), I was herded into the gym. My memory gets a little hazy here, but I know we got our schedules, our link group numbers and played some sort of weird handshaking game. During the game I noticed another girl, who looked quite as alone-and-trying-not-to-care as I know I felt. I thought about it, got really nervous again, gathered up my confidence and courage, and (not to sound trite but its true) found some I didn’t even know I had, and walked up to her. I said hi, my name is Lauren, what’s yours? Didn’t you just love that game? She laughed a little and told me her name was Tiffany. Just then we broke into our link groups and so we awkwardly smiled at each other and kind of waved goodbye. I went to my link group, exhilarated at my conquest over my apparently inherent shyness. After that, it was next to no problem to meet the people in my group.
Best of all, Tiffany turned out to be in my Math class, and we started eating lunch together. I learned she had just moved here from Colorado (which made my own move feel just a wee bit of a smaller thing) and that she also adored playing the piano. It was a good beginning to a good friendship.
Looking back, my move wasn’t the worst thing that has ever happened to me… Although I’m still not quite happy with the size of my closet, that is secondary to the increased (and ever-increasing) levels of confidence and boldness I feel. It must be confessed that I still quake in my sneakers when I introduce myself to someone previously unknown, but I hope I’m getting over it. In fact, I was positively friendly to a girl in my Spanish class the other day.
So what was awakened? I’m not quite sure, but I do know that I am a different person, hopefully a better person for experiencing this. It was hard at the time, yes, and sometimes still is hard, as my friends from Kellogg and I drift apart from each other. But growing is hard, and it does hurt. At least it’s positive growth. Anyway, I guess I’m glad my parents didn’t decide to remodel after all. I was at a friend’s house that was remodeling and I discovered something. I don’t like plaster either.
When I finally got to Shorewood (the ride seemed to take forever), I was herded into the gym. My memory gets a little hazy here, but I know we got our schedules, our link group numbers and played some sort of weird handshaking game. During the game I noticed another girl, who looked quite as alone-and-trying-not-to-care as I know I felt. I thought about it, got really nervous again, gathered up my confidence and courage, and (not to sound trite but its true) found some I didn’t even know I had, and walked up to her. I said hi, my name is Lauren, what’s yours? Didn’t you just love that game? She laughed a little and told me her name was Tiffany. Just then we broke into our link groups and so we awkwardly smiled at each other and kind of waved goodbye. I went to my link group, exhilarated at my conquest over my apparently inherent shyness. After that, it was next to no problem to meet the people in my group.
Best of all, Tiffany turned out to be in my Math class, and we started eating lunch together. I learned she had just moved here from Colorado (which made my own move feel just a wee bit of a smaller thing) and that she also adored playing the piano. It was a good beginning to a good friendship.
Looking back, my move wasn’t the worst thing that has ever happened to me… Although I’m still not quite happy with the size of my closet, that is secondary to the increased (and ever-increasing) levels of confidence and boldness I feel. It must be confessed that I still quake in my sneakers when I introduce myself to someone previously unknown, but I hope I’m getting over it. In fact, I was positively friendly to a girl in my Spanish class the other day.
So what was awakened? I’m not quite sure, but I do know that I am a different person, hopefully a better person for experiencing this. It was hard at the time, yes, and sometimes still is hard, as my friends from Kellogg and I drift apart from each other. But growing is hard, and it does hurt. At least it’s positive growth. Anyway, I guess I’m glad my parents didn’t decide to remodel after all. I was at a friend’s house that was remodeling and I discovered something. I don’t like plaster either.