Green Cheese. Whirlwind of Kleenex <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 24, 2005

Blue, azure, navy, sapphire, cerulean, indigo, cobalt 

...
The deep azure of the sky today was marvelous. My heart is always that much happier when I can see a blue sky. What is really wonderful about a blue autumn sky, though, is the contrast it gives. Evergreens are dark and cold, and even red and yellow leaves (nature’s fireworks, as it were) aren’t inspiring without an adequate background. And what adequacy is the blueness of a fall day? Better still, when its clear, the sea is a deep sapphire as well. It fills my heart, though at the same time, it creates such a yearning in me, a yearning for everything perfect.

I associate dark blue with: sadness, jazz, the song “I thought about you,” my sister Emma, sweaters, my school, the numbers 2 and 8, socks, the new coldplay album. And almost every cd or book with a blue cover becomes blue in my thoughts. For instance “To kill a mockingbird.” This doesn’t always happen though (notable examples are my Little House books, which I think of as a strong, hearty brown).

Light blue goes with: lightheartedness, blankets, my grandma’s living room (because of the brocaded blue couches I’ve always loved), spring, swimming, pillowcases.
I read in a book when I was about seven years old that blue is the tranquil color. That’s how I see it most often.

If I thought for a while more I would go a little deeper, but now I want your thoughts. What do you associate blue with?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?