Monday, September 11, 2006
Five years
Five years ago I was in seventh grade. I was in choir.
I didn't know.
Five years ago I was in school. I was
listening to our principal annouce something about New York.
I didn't know.
Five years ago I was coming home and my mom had been crying,
and this was strange. I didn't get it. I didn't see the news reports–
all I heard was word of mouth.
I didn't know
Today I was listening to NPR and I heard
a woman talking to her husband who has been dead
for five years
she was choking up, her voice going high and cracking.
I wanted to cry too. I wanted to tell her I didn't know
then (how could I?)
but now maybe a little
maybe a little because I am older
and can imagine
maybe now (a very little)
I know
I didn't know.
Five years ago I was in school. I was
listening to our principal annouce something about New York.
I didn't know.
Five years ago I was coming home and my mom had been crying,
and this was strange. I didn't get it. I didn't see the news reports–
all I heard was word of mouth.
I didn't know
Today I was listening to NPR and I heard
a woman talking to her husband who has been dead
for five years
she was choking up, her voice going high and cracking.
I wanted to cry too. I wanted to tell her I didn't know
then (how could I?)
but now maybe a little
maybe a little because I am older
and can imagine
maybe now (a very little)
I know