Friday, September 22, 2006
Stepping into the light
(For a lot of people and me)
It’s just something I do
I’ve done it for years
It’s been confining- ok, it’s a trap
But it’s familiar
And of course I want out
But I’m too scared to ask
As if you were a jailer
Unwilling to kill off a rat
Oh, but you’re calling to me
To step into the light
And I’m afraid, I’m afraid, I’m afraid
What if it’s time?
What if you’ve cornered me
And I have to confess?
Not just to you but to a friend or two
And they see the truth, they see me in all my mess
I want to appear strong
I guess it’s just pride
OK! You have me here
There can be no disguising
So listen my friends
This is what I’ve been up to
Oh Lord please take this burden off
As I obey you
You’ve been calling to me
To step into the light
And I’m shaking so hard
But I know that it’s time
Now that you’ve cornered me
I have to confess
I’m nothing without you Lord, so take me Lord
Take everything to do with this mess
It’s just something I do
I’ve done it for years
It’s been confining- ok, it’s a trap
But it’s familiar
And of course I want out
But I’m too scared to ask
As if you were a jailer
Unwilling to kill off a rat
Oh, but you’re calling to me
To step into the light
And I’m afraid, I’m afraid, I’m afraid
What if it’s time?
What if you’ve cornered me
And I have to confess?
Not just to you but to a friend or two
And they see the truth, they see me in all my mess
I want to appear strong
I guess it’s just pride
OK! You have me here
There can be no disguising
So listen my friends
This is what I’ve been up to
Oh Lord please take this burden off
As I obey you
You’ve been calling to me
To step into the light
And I’m shaking so hard
But I know that it’s time
Now that you’ve cornered me
I have to confess
I’m nothing without you Lord, so take me Lord
Take everything to do with this mess