Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Some memories
I did not grow up with Charlie Brown because I did not grow up with television, thank the Good Lord. I have memories of watching TV at Grandma's house. The first movie I ever remember watching was there, and it was “The Return of the Jedi” and I was so confused because I thought it was called “The Return of Jed’s Eye” and I didn’t know where that eye was supposed to come in, and there wasn't even anyone named Jed, it was all about people in space. Those memories, of movies, Batman, Power Rangers, and Nickelodeon specials, are vivid because they were special, just like Grandma’s living room was special.
My Grandma’s living room was so nice, so clean and white and pale blue The blue satin sofa looked imperially brocaded. The glass topped coffee tables had ceramic decorations, and when it was Christmas, the most wonderful music boxes and snowglobes. At the age of ten, I was fully immersed in fairyland, and that Christmas, after dinner, while my parents and grandparents were talking, still at the dinner table, and my siblings were upstairs watching TV, I danced. I wound up a music box, and pretended I was dancing for a great queen. I twirled in my navy blue velvet dress. I spun and got dizzy. At the end I curtseyed to the fairy queen and went back upstairs to wait for when we would open presents and stockings, and when this magic room would change into only a meeting place for my family, covered with torn paper, candy wrappers, and bows.
My Grandma’s living room was so nice, so clean and white and pale blue The blue satin sofa looked imperially brocaded. The glass topped coffee tables had ceramic decorations, and when it was Christmas, the most wonderful music boxes and snowglobes. At the age of ten, I was fully immersed in fairyland, and that Christmas, after dinner, while my parents and grandparents were talking, still at the dinner table, and my siblings were upstairs watching TV, I danced. I wound up a music box, and pretended I was dancing for a great queen. I twirled in my navy blue velvet dress. I spun and got dizzy. At the end I curtseyed to the fairy queen and went back upstairs to wait for when we would open presents and stockings, and when this magic room would change into only a meeting place for my family, covered with torn paper, candy wrappers, and bows.