Saturday, October 13, 2007
Significance/Rites of Passage
A little plastic card has my name on it. Slight though it be, it carries the weight of adulthood.
Rite of passage? Maybe. A necessity when the bank is only open 8-5, M-F? Yes.
If such necessities will characterize most of my doings as a quasi-adult moving towards independence, then I don't think I like it.
Then again, I was brought up in thrift. I do not like to spend money. Ah hem.... I do not like to spend my money. I have no qualms spending other people's money (Usually, anyways). But money is a necessity I wish I could do without. After all, what is money? It has no intrinsic value, now that we are off the gold standard. Pieces of paper, rectangles of plastic, with no meaning besides that which society assigns.
Still, I have some of this meaningless stuff, and I can access it through a card now. So... anyone for coffee? It'll be on me, I promise.
Rite of passage? Maybe. A necessity when the bank is only open 8-5, M-F? Yes.
If such necessities will characterize most of my doings as a quasi-adult moving towards independence, then I don't think I like it.
Then again, I was brought up in thrift. I do not like to spend money. Ah hem.... I do not like to spend my money. I have no qualms spending other people's money (Usually, anyways). But money is a necessity I wish I could do without. After all, what is money? It has no intrinsic value, now that we are off the gold standard. Pieces of paper, rectangles of plastic, with no meaning besides that which society assigns.
Still, I have some of this meaningless stuff, and I can access it through a card now. So... anyone for coffee? It'll be on me, I promise.