Green Cheese. Whirlwind of Kleenex <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 02, 2007

(parentheses filled) memoranda, in which I discuss my life, because I don't particularly feel like sleeping right now. 

Cynthia said that I was talking in my sleep last night. Something about a table.
I have no memory of this, of course. (Why does it always happen when I'm asleep?)

I am wishing that I had the following music on Smite: Jose Gonzales, U2, Rosie Thomas (the newer one), Aaron Sprinkle, Denison Witmer, Death Cab, the Decemberists, and Laura Veirs.

My U Scholars midterm was today. We identified terms and wrote short essays on Achebe, Diamond and Khedairi. I forgot what the term "oppositional identities" meant and made something up.... but it is over!

The last three songs I listened to were: "Across the Universe" (Rufus Wainwright), "Home" (Zero 7) and "Futures" (Jimmy Eat World).

Damijan Močnik, an up-and-coming (read: brilliant!) Slovenian composer has been visiting our school for the past week. His work with us, on three of his simpler hymn tunes, culminated in our fall choral concert tonight. The Concert Choir sang four of his more challenging pieces (he conducted them all), which included his new (this was the premier performance) "Veni, Creator Spiritus." It was chant-like, based off the medieval technique of faux bourdon, but included free chant (everyone singing the melody at their own pace), crazy-tight dissonances booming out of nowhere, and overtone singing (also known as Tuvan throat singing, which I have been trying to master for two years now). All that description to say: SO GOOD!!

There is a paper, due Monday, in my Survey of Music Lit. class that I should be working on.

My mother has a birthday on Sunday. She is turning old (I won't say). This is mildly distressing, for all the obvious deep and reminding-ourselves-of-time-and-age reasons, but what is more distressing is.... in fact, it is devastatingly distressing... is that she now (according to Emma) has a facebook.

The world, the world: it is not right.
It has gone mad
it has dimmed; it is not bright
I am sad

But happier than I was on my birthday, an ironic, but not unexpected occurance. After all, one must consider the following: 1) I see birthdays as days to reflect over the past year. 2) I am always extremely happy after choir concerts and midterms are done. 3) I just played a hilarious two rounds of picture dictionary with my Moyer buds.

Oh man. Major spillage of the chamomile tea. On myself. By myself. Good night.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?