Thursday, January 24, 2008
And indeed, a good laugh was had by all.
Ruth and I went to see Shannon Hale, a "real live author" who we both like. She wrote The Goose Girl, and Princess Academy, among others. Not my favorite author, but I have found her a good, quick fix for clean fantasy/fairy tales.
Anyway, we went to see her at the U Bookstore on the Ave, her and Libba Bray, another YA author. I'd never been to an non-Calvary book signing before... but I want to go to more. They were hysterical! They just chattered on about writing, Mongolia, sock-puppet musicals, and other such randomness. I laughed really hard at points-- probably the most when Shannon Hale was talking about weaning her 12-month-old, and then mentioned The Grapes of Wrath (in the context of the last scene *cough*). I thought I would explode.
Ruth had her copy of The Goose Girl signed, and then we went to coffee down the block. As we sipped away, discussing how we had both had rather trying days, she told me, "I think you needed a good laugh." She was right.
Anyway, we went to see her at the U Bookstore on the Ave, her and Libba Bray, another YA author. I'd never been to an non-Calvary book signing before... but I want to go to more. They were hysterical! They just chattered on about writing, Mongolia, sock-puppet musicals, and other such randomness. I laughed really hard at points-- probably the most when Shannon Hale was talking about weaning her 12-month-old, and then mentioned The Grapes of Wrath (in the context of the last scene *cough*). I thought I would explode.
Ruth had her copy of The Goose Girl signed, and then we went to coffee down the block. As we sipped away, discussing how we had both had rather trying days, she told me, "I think you needed a good laugh." She was right.